I grew up playing in the local streams and woods surrounding a small college town in Allegany County, New York, in the upper reaches of the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
Regionally known as the Southern Tier, this northernmost extent of Appalachia lies in the Allegheny Plateau, which is geologically very distinct from the Coastal Plain that is commonly associated with the Chesapeake Bay. Its distance from my current home in Annapolis, Maryland serves to remind me of the breadth of the Chesapeake Bay and the scale of the challenges that it faces.
I want my kids to have the same opportunities for exploration and discovery that I had when I was a kid.
• • •
Since the beginning, I have regularly worked with environmental organizations, non-profits and faith based organizations at the grass roots level to effect positive change in the stewardship of our environment. I have dedicated many hours of pro-bono service, supporting small organizations with their stewardship efforts by drafting concept plans to submit for grant funding, preparing design documents for construction and providing on site support during construction and volunteer planting activities. In addition to being a Master Watershed Steward, I am a member of the Consortium of Support Professionals for the Anne Arundel County Watershed Stewards Academy (WSA), and was instrumental in helping WSA complete the first phase of their Clean Water Communities pilot project in 2014.
Having operated as a sole proprietor providing design and consulting services under the name 'Cultivate' for over 9 years, it became clear that it was time for a transplant. Welspryng LLC was established to represent the full range of services that are offered. 'Welspryng' is the Old English spelling of 'wellspring', which commonly means 'an abundant resource', or 'the origin of a stream or river'..
- Chris Moore
“At this point in my career I have probably forgotten more than I have learned, yet I still have only forgotten a fraction of what there is yet to know. One of my latest discoveries, by happy accident, is Carex lurida.”
Not unlike certain periodic check-ups at the doctor’s office, maintenance is an often unpleasant but necessary task for maintaining the health and performance of a BMP (Best Management Practice) facility. By this time of year, maintenance contracts should be squared away and the first maintenance visits should be in the works. For many of these […]
There may come a time when you need a stormwater or drainage solution that requires sub-surface drainage i.e. pipes. Two kinds of pipe are commonly used in small scale drainage projects. Corrugated plastic pipe and rigid PVC pipe are comparable in material cost but differ significantly in installation cost and reliability. Corrugated plastic pipe is […]
A few years ago, the tenants in the rental house across the street from us let their kids have a yard sale. They set up a folding table with a sign in their front yard and spent a Saturday afternoon sitting at the table with the intent of selling some old toys that they no […]
Welspryng delivers project-specific solutions that reconcile the innate characteristics of a given landscape with the needs of the people who use it.
Welspryng specializes in site design and permitting, grading and drainage, stormwater management and native plants. We provide design consulting, design/build services, construction services and maintenance for landscape installations and site-scale, non-structural BMPs ranging in size from small rain gardens and outfall restorations to larger infiltration and bio-retention facilities.
The cornerstone of a successful project is the establishment of appropriate goals based on a clear understanding of the underlying need. One or more of the following needs are fundamental to every project. Services are tailored to meet the unique objectives of each project.
|EXPAND USE||INCREASE VALUE||IMPROVE FUNCTION|
Increased, additional or modified use of a site often requires advanced planning and the approval of one or more regulatory agencies, and/or review boards.
Existing and proposed site improvements are reviewed to optimize solutions that benefit stakeholders (e.g. owners, user groups).
The natural processes and biological functions that are unique to a site are identified, evaluated and enhanced.
Natural Resources Inventories
Forest Stand Delineations
Value Engineering Studies - Increase R.O.I. (Return on Investment) by quantifying the value that is returned for the resources that are expended and offering alternative solutions.
Invasive Species Inventories
Site Programs and Master Plans
Site Design Guidelines
Subwatershed Action Plans
Grant Application Support
Site and Landscape Design
Grading and Drainage
Stormwater Management and Retrofits
Natural Plant Community Research and Planting Design
Stormwater BMP Construction
Stormwater BMP Inspection and Maintenance
Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
Forest Conservation Plans
Buffer Management Plans
Construction Feasibility Reviews
Invasive Species Management
Habitat Creation and Enhancement
Chris Moore is a Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional (CBLP) and a Maryland licensed landscape architect with over 20 years of professional experience on projects ranging from environmental restoration to federal, municipal, cultural, institutional and residential projects. Prior to establishing himself as an independent contractor, he worked for several notable firms in the Baltimore/Washington Metropolitan region, including Oehme, van Sweden & Associates in Washington DC, Ayers/Saint/Gross Architects + Planners in Baltimore and Underwood & Associates in Annapolis. Some past projects that Chris has designed and managed may be viewed HERE.
Native Plant Materials
- 20+ years experience working in the Mid-Atlantic region with native plants in landscape, stormwater and restoration projects.
- Management oversight of design, engineering, and permitting for shoreline restoration, stream restoration and stormwater management retrofit projects.
- Preparation of Forest Stand Delineation/Forest Conservation Plans.
- Non-tidal Wetland delineations.
- Project coordination with MDE/USACE, DNR and county agencies.
- Development of community-level subwatershed action plans identifying natural resources, soils and drainage patterns to inform a comprehensive approach for addressing water quality issues and hotspots. Summarize opportunities for retrofits with associated costs.
- Preparation of specifications, project manuals and bid documents. Project bidding, establish budgets and schedules, and prepare contracts.
- Construction oversight, resolution of field discrepancies, manage change order requests and review/approval of applications for payment.
- Preparation of design plans in support of grant applications submitted on behalf of non-profit organizations (e.g. riverkeepers, community associations, faith-based organizations) seeking to secure funding for stormwater retrofit and native planting projects.
- Demonstration and oversight of stewardship installations and/or periodic maintenance by volunteers.
- Registered Landscape Architect, State of Maryland – 2001
- Anne Arundel County Watershed Stewards Academy – 2009
- Green Roof Professional Certification – 2013
- Basic Wetland Delineation Certification – 2013
- Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional Level 1 Certification – 2016
I am privileged to have worked with the following organizations:
- • Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay, Inc.
- • Annapolis Roads Property Owners Association, Inc.
- • Anne Arundel County Watershed Stewards Academy
- • Bright Horizons Family Solutions, LLC
- • Chesapeake Childrens Museum, Inc
- • Columbia Beach Citizens Improvement Association, Inc.
- • Crofton Civic Association, Inc.
- • EcoGardens, LLC
- • EnviroProjects, LLC
- • HD Squared Architects, LLC
- • Hillsmere Shores Improvement Association, Inc.
- • Howard Ecoworks, Inc.
- • Key School Inc.
- • Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc.
- • Round Bay Community, Inc.
- • Severna Park Baptist Church
- • Spa Creek Conservancy, Inc.
- • St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
- • Unitarian Universalist Church of Annapolis
- • U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Overseas Building Operations
- • Value Management Strategies, Inc.
- • Winchester on the Severn, Inc.
If you have a site, stormwater, or stewardship need, contact us. We have the technical expertise and project experience necessary to ask the right questions and offer the right solutions.
p: 443.333.9612 | 129 Groh Lane, Annapolis, MD 21403 | e: email@example.com